Moroccan Wine

Moroccan Wine Production

flowerMorocco is undeniably a land of vines and despite the pressures of co-existing within a relatively conservative Muslim society, Moroccan wine production and

Moroccan wine Vineyards

Vineyards Morocco

consumption in Morocco is flourishing.

The first vines date back 2,500 years in the central Meknes region but it was during the period of the French Protectorate (1912 – 1956) that the wine industry in Morocco was transformed. A catastrophic phylloxera pest totally destroyed most of Europe’s vineyards at the turn of the 20th century and many French winemakers emigrated to Morocco to start afresh. The French planted vineyards extensively, planting the same grape varieties commonly found around the Mediterranean, such as Grenache, Syrah, Cabernet-Sauvignon and Merlot.

Moroccan Wine regions

Morocco has 14 wine regions centred around Meknes, Casablanca, Agadir, Boulaouane, Fes, Kenitra, Marrakech, Melilla, Ouarzazate, Rabat, Safi, Sidi Ifni, Tangier and Tetouan. Becoming more famous are the vineyards in Benslimane, Berkane and Guerrouane.

Current annual output stands at more than 40 million bottles of wine, making Morocco the second largest producer in the Arab world, the largest being Algeria. 85% of production is consumed by the domestic market, leaving 15% which is exported, mainly in France.

Moroccan Wine – Cuvée Première

moroccan wineOne of our favourite red wines that is great by itself or accompanying lunch or dinner is the Cuvée Première label, a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Grenache, produced by the Thalvin vineyard at Domaine des Ouled Thaleb in Ben Slimane, a region of Casablanca.

Our Marrakech Riad is the perfect base for a cultural experience in Morocco. Contact our riad reservations team to secure your preferred travel dates.